Meeting Notes

November 10, 2017

West Campus Presence of JST

  • Highlight refreshments (ie pizza) on flyers and emails 
  • Pan the West Campus email list, once a week in advance and a reminder the day of
  • Maybe get a microphone to improve sound on the teleconference

Mini Safety Day

  • Shoot for a date in mid January (around first week of classes)
  • Speaker - still waiting to hear back from Miller, consider Brudvig or Holland for backups
  • Walkthroughs will happen again!
    • Organic - Suzanne & Vinay
    • ​Inorganic - DK & Julia
    • Physical - Steph& Vic (no formal walkthrough)
  • Communication Committee will consult with speaker and book the room (SCL 111?) for the talk
  • Vinay will check with the speaker that it is ok if we teleconference the talk to West Campus
  • Steph will organize the refreshments
    • This year we will order pizza (~10) and ask the main office for the tea/coffee cart
  • Suzanne will make the flyers for Mini Safety Day once we have a date/speaker

Near Miss Reporting

  • The IT summary should be ready by the middle of next week
  • Ideas to improve near miss reporting:
    • QR magnets - wait until website is setup
    • Aneta will talk to Eric about placing the physical box in the NMR room
    • Put the actual forms on the JST Box so the liaisons can provide the forms directly to the safety officers
    • Increase presence on West Campus by putting up the near miss reporting posters around (Suzanne will forward the posters to the West Campus Committee)
  • Need to find a new way to curate the near miss reporting responses
    • Check with Anna Kim to see if EHS can take on the responsibility of answering how to have avoided the near miss instead of the current professor checking off a box

Posters 

  • The November “Reactions Under Pressure” is complete
  • December poster will be the Mini Safety Day flyer
    • Also recycle the posters about working late/alone throughout December
  • January poster - maybe “Carcinogens”
  • Building liaisons will be in charge of distributing the posters throughout their respective buildings

Meme Winners

  • Will try to keep the “blinding laser” meme that won the contest out of the department, but include it on social media

Social Committee

  • At the first movie night, we had three people outside of the JST show up and got two comment cards
  • Next movie night we should have pizza available
  • Next possible social event could be a social hour some time in early December
    • Open to all, but highly encouraged that the safety officers come so we can chat/hand out near miss reports/etc.
    • Push social media presence at the social hour
    • Vic and Noreen will spearhead this and contact Erin to make sure we have department support

Social Media

  • Aneta will link the Twitter account to the Facebook page
  • If you want any safety articles tweeted out, send them to Aneta!
  • Vic will look into sprucing up our LinkedIn page
  • Jihye will add Aneta as an admin to the Facebook page
    • The JST has both a Facebook page and group (more members in the page, but we have more free range on the group) - brainstorm ways to improve/consolidate presence

Website and Newsletter

  • Suzanne worked on adding information to the side banners of the website
  • The newsletter does go out to the faculty (and some of them read/like it!)

Recruitment

  • We have three new first years attending today’s meeting!
    • They found that the announcement at Ethics Class and the emails were helpful reminders

Graduate Student Survey

  • Pat Holland is about to (in the next few weeks - plan to send out around Thanksgiving break) send out another grad student survey and would like to include some questions written about the JST/safety culture
  • Possible question topics:
    • Newsletter - how many read it, how would you rate it, etc.
    • Near miss question asked previously
    • Safety conscious question asked previously
    • Use of safety moments at group meetings
    • How did you hear about JST, what JST social media do you follow

Safety Moments

  • Suzanne and Julia will work on archiving, formatting and watermarking safety moments for the JST website
  • Try to make them distributable via the website similar to the University of Minnesota

Miscellaneous

  • B.I.in Connecticut uses differential scanning calorimetry to determine if compounds are explosive, and at what temperatures they should be used
    • Look into this to see if we can develop something similar or find a way to ship them safely
  • Suzanne will create a GoogleDoc so we can list the safety officers for each lab
  • Vic is working on an article for the newsletter on the LiveSafe App to get more information on this

NEXT MEETING WILL BE FRIDAY DECEMBER 8TH AT 1PM

October 13, 2017

New Positions

  • President – Victor Beaumont
  • Vice President – Suzanne Szewczyk
  • Secretary – Steph Craig
  • Treasurer – Daria Kim
  • KCL Liaison – Dongyoung Kim (DK)
  • SCL Liaison – Steph Craig
  • CRB Liaison – Aneta Turlik
  • Webmaster – Ben Rudshteyn
  • Social/Outreach Committee – Aneta Turlik (and volunteers on a case-by-case basis)
  • Poster/Graphics Committee – Jihye Jo, Dongyoung Kim, Julia Darcy, Suzanne Szewczyk
  • Newsletter Committee – Suzanne Szewczyk, Victor Beaumont, Aneta Turlik, Daria Kim, Vinay Trivedi-Parmar
  • Corporate/External Communication Committee – Vinay Trivedi-Parmar, Maria-Elena Liosi, Dongyoung Kim
  • West Campus Committee – Yueshen Wu, Yiren Zhong

Poster Campaign

  • Added fire extinguishers, carcinogens and peroxides to poster topics
  • Near miss reporting or common incidents and how to avoid them?
  • November Poster – Reactions Under Pressure
    • DK and Julia
    • Deadline November 3rd

Newsletter

  • October newsletter to go out next week
    • Include new liaisons, safety officers for each lab
  • Try to set up newsletter to go out to faculty as well
  • Make sure the list serve auto-updates to include new grad students

Near Miss Reporting

  • Have building liaisons work directly with the safety officers for each lab to report near misses directly
  • Set up the physical Near Miss Reporting box – possibly NMR room
  • Check with IT about possibility with mobile version
    • Can have a QR code to access reporting from smart phone

Emails and Social Media

  • Update grad students, postdocs and faculty about new JST liaisons with a blast email, in our newsletter and on website
  • Blast email will go out once IT has the new Near Miss Reporting website live
  • Set up a Twitter account (Aenta)
    • Can use to tweet out new liaisons, safety scenarios, links to sources used when creating content for the newsletter
  • Corporate Communications Committee will try to get a list of the JST liaisons out to include in the department newsletter

Safety Day

  • Need to distribute prizes – give a prize to everyone who took a photo (27) and to the top five meme winners
  • Keep remaining (63) for prizes for Safety Day 2018
  • Save the IG-style safety day pictures for advertising for 2018 and put some up on the JST website

Recurring Projects

  • Department Safety Day Talk
    • Corporate Communications Committee will reach out to Scott Miller to see if he is interested in giving safety lecture
    • Shoot for the talk to be in early January (work around his schedule)
    • Once he’s locked down, we can make posters for the event
  • Meetings with Safety Officers
    • Have one floor representative talk to the safety officers of that lab near miss reporting
      • KCL1 - Jihye
      • KCL2 - DK
      • CRB1 - Matt
      • CRB2 - Aneta
      • CRB3 - Vinay
      • SCL - Steph
  • Safety Moments
    • Speakers could give a one slide/2 minute safety moment talk at the beginning of each departmental seminar
      • Victor will try to talk to Gary Brudvig for support/approval
    • Have the safety liaisons try to schedule meetings with their buildings (by floor?) to discuss near miss reporting and to compile safety moments they may have used or discussed in their group meetings
      • Julia and DK will compile and format them similarly to make them accessible, maybe make a template
    • Branch out to Safety Scenarios
      • Hypothetical five minute scenarios about a safety situation and how people would handle them
      • Suzanne has some from Safety Day
      • Would make fun “what would you do” tweets
    • Keep in mind ideas for the Summer Field Trip
    • Victor and Suzanne will try to recruit first years by going to Parr’s Ethics Class
    • Networking
      • Try to set up a JST network with ACS, other universities in the area, through what Minnesota is trying to set up
    • Have JST meetings accessible via web cam for West Campus

August 1, 2017

News Updates

  • IT started working on near miss reporting and will update JST accordingly
  • Vinay’s term as president will end at the end of August
  • JST will need a new president for the next year

Newsletter

  • Need to meet to get a newsletter out for August
  • Should address what is expected from students on Safety Day

Safety Day

  • Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL) will have event for 1st years August 29th 10AM - Noon
  • Safety Day Event 11 AM - 1:30 PM
  • Lunch (~$1300)
    • Paid for mostly by EHS
    • Paid partly by JST and CTL
    • ​Order should be placed a week in advance
    • Vinay will contact EHS and CTL financial representatives for ordering 
  • Fire Marshals will be there 10AM - Noon
    • Contact for handouts to include in registration folder
  • Registration
    • Online registration to encourage attendance 
    • Send email for registrations August 14
    • Link for online training (lab safety training and fire safety)
  • Spaces
    • AirGas will be there 11AM - 1:30PM
      • Will have a separate room with projector
      • 15 minute talks
      • Contact for handouts to include in registration folder
    • Main organic labs will hold most demonstrations
      • Need destroyed equipment of demonstrations (blast shield, dewar, …)
      • Need gloves (S, M, L) for contamination station
      • Contact Daria for any purchases by August 4th
      • Daria will purchase folders for registration materials
      • All JST members should send Jihye meme templates for JST table
      • Send Victor any pictures demonstrating violations of contamination policy
      • JST members should ask for volunteers to do a pyrophorics demonstration
  • Promotional Poster (Matt)
    • Coordinate with newsletter committee for congruent marketing
    • Address what is expected from students for the safety day
    • Mandatory for first year students and safety officers, but all students expected to attend
    • Online training is mandatory for all students
    • Jihye will contact West Campus printing for larger poster compilation
  • Snapchat and Instagram: still in planning
  • Ben will update website with event

New Project: SOPs for all labs in the department



July 14, 2017

Safety Day Meeting

  • Tuesday August 27th 11 AM - 1:30 PM, Lunch ~12PM
  • 3rd Floor SCL lounge: Advanced orgo lab and general lab for demonstrations
  • Overlapping with teaching event for 1st years
  • Pooling budgets with teaching event for bigger lunch
  • Booths will be in hall near lunch tables
  • Ben: map of event for registration table
  • Jihye: JST table
    • Prize: adhesive cell phone pouch (~100)
    • Snapchat and instragram: geofilter and pictures
    • JST uploaded videos for social media
    • Instagram contest with hashtags
    • Photo booth: oversized lab equipment
    • JST members should provide memes for table
  • Aneta and Daria: bench etiquette
    • 4 or 5 photos 
  • Suzanne: emergency response
    • Scripts for 3 scenarios: spills and fires
  • Victor: Contamination
    • Simulate contamination with glitter and stress balls
  • Ana Kim waiting on fire department for demonstrations
    • Contact for a handout
  • Daria: AirGas
    • ​Projectors for presentation
    • Send pictures of lab space
  • Pyrophorics
    • Need volunteer
    • Aneta has script
  • Matt: Poster promoting event including logos of other visiting companies
  • Prizes
    • Completed passports
    • Meme contest
    • Instagram contest
    • Snapchat contest
    • JST sign up
    • Clean and dirty JST pens
    • Cell phone cases
    • Yale mugs


June 26, 2017

a. AirGas trip - 12 people. Received itinerary: meet with PhD’s, engineers, lunch there covered by them, tour of plant, transportation EHS sponsored
Near miss reporting can use those funds
Peroxide poster popular

II.    July Newsletter - after trip Suzanne will schedule meeting

III.    Posters (toxic materials/safety day promotion)
July: Near miss reporting?
August: Small poster on promotion
September: laser/electronics safety
All set for 3 months.

IV.    Near miss reporting
•    Quick consultation with Kevin Charbonneau/Kelly Kellerman (Scheduled for 6/27)
•    Submit PTAEO to IT (obtain from Kelly or Kevin)
Workday might affect PTAEO numbers that ITS asked for; changeover before we get them number may cause problems.

V.    Field trip to AirGas
Send reminder email to attendees where tell people to come 15 minutes early - use previous email.
Can accomodate 1-2 extra people?

VI.    Safety Day
Vinay put together a Google doc.
Encourage people to give suggestions within next week and volunteer for a booth.
August 28 and 29 encouraged (Monday and Tuesday)
Aim for 29th as it allows for  set up time.
Booths Main Foyer:
    Registration/passport pickup by JST volunteers
    JST - JST volunteers
    safety goggle fitting - EHS
    lab coat company
    ppe -EHS
    waste management in main area with trifold
    eship global
    reporting chemical accidents - get responders from EHS, police to talk about them
Lab Spaces Interactive
    bench/hood maintenance - Vinay and Daria materials
    emergency response protocol - Suzanne did previously? Demonstrate how washes work.
    clean areas/contamination  - should be interactive and have photos
    near miss reporting - may or may not be able to discuss new system - 1 person with computer
Training
    handling pyrophorics - Aneta has sheet
    fire extinguisher - fire marshall
    gas cylinder - AirGas may send volunteer
    laser safety - Alex Parobek (Ganim Lab) may be amenable to help
Might want to fold some booths together to put it in main area
Next Steps:
    Sign up for roles via Google Sheets
    Scope out lab spaces with Anna Kim in beginning of July
    For each booth, we need to gather props (Jihye will find old props (surely has magnets), will consider new theme)
Prizes:
    Jihye suggests JST logo back of phone card carrier
    Raffle giveaways via ‘passport’
    Daria will handle purchasing fancy magnets
    Jihye will locate new meme templates
New Handouts:
    Eship global needs to make one
    Someone needs to make or find an accident reporting handout with numbers
    Clean areas/contam poster - can use email and poster
PPE discussion includes consideration of order to wear: goggles, gloves, then coat
Herzon may suggest a volunteer
Jihye put together a poster and let Ben know to get West Campus printing to handle it
Spare passports/empty folders at each booth - cover 3 areas - passport filled out gives you a prize (some mandatory some optional)

VII.    New leadership
    Vinay is stepping down - his model was delegating a lot of tasks to others - doesn’t need to be like that
    New Leadership needed

Current Projects:
•    Posters (ongoing)
    -    cryogens
    -    reactions under pressure
    -    laser, electronic, and instrumental safety
    -    waste disposal and freebies from EHS
    -    contingency plans (how to respond to fires, spills, and injuries)
    -    safety in bio labs
    -    carcinogens
    -    peroxides/azides
    -    oxidizers (also peroxides)

•    Newsletter (permanent)
•    Near Miss Reporting Update (expected complete Aug/Sept)
•    Safety Day (scheduled late Aug)
•    Airgas field trip (scheduled Jun 30)

Projects on Deck:
•    Consultation service with BI/advice forum
•    Keycard access to KCL
•    Safety moments at lectures
•    Safety videos with Shin Hee Lee (Brudvig Lab)
•    Populate internal pages of near miss system
•    Safety lecture with Scott Miller   
   
VIII.    Next meeting - tentative scheduling
    Short meeting in the middle of July 14th (Friday)
    and usual meeting at July 24th (Monday) - Ben will not be around

IX: Suggestions from the Floor
    List of guidelines on what Safety Officer  are supposed to do - resource not caretaker
        abridged guidelines document floating around?
        Suzanne and Vinay emailed safety officers on resources - never got back to them - put up something in CRB, to do in KCL
    Poster on how to send out chemicals without getting stopped by EHS using Eshipglobal
    Anna Kim will get in touch with people in her office who handle it - maybe come in September or just consult with them on a poster
        - handout for safety day too - put on our website via links
    Anna Kim recalls sending resources
    Get safety officers involved via their PI
    Standardize posters in clean room
    Safety officer training can get started from petition from students
    Need to pick up JST faculty sponsor - ask Seth if he’s still interested
    Need easier adhesive or poster holder from Erin
    Need new solution from gloves not being in NMR room/bathrooms
    Hoods keep them closed?
  

Next meeting: Week of June 26, specific information TBD
May 26, 2017

Completed this month

  • More meetings for near miss reporting
  • May newsletter: contamination
  • Near miss reporting poster
  • Toxic materials poster
  • Next poster: laser, electronic, and instrumental safety
  • Flyers for common area contamination should not be taped on doors or walls, still waiting for installation of sleeves

Near miss reporting

  • Created draft mock ups for internal pages
  • Meetings planned for further implementation
  • Might be able to go online August
  • Submit project to IT for update

Budget

  • $1500 left to spend
  • Most will go to AirGas and Safety Day

AirGas Field Trip

  • June 30 arriving around noon
  • Project manager to talk about how tanks are filled
  • Scheduling meetings with chemists
  • Contacting with Kelly for transportation company
  • Box lunch or lunch at AirGas

Safety Day

  • Informational Booths
    • Registration
      • Map of exhibition
    • JST general information
      • Folder of all hand-outs/scripts/resources
      • Raffles
      • Meme contest
    • Safety Goggle fitting
    • PPE and gloves
    • Inventory system, online resources
    • Q/A with EHS/police responders
  • Interactive Demonstrations
    • Lab entrance
    • Bench/hood maintenance
    • Emergency response
      • Improv prompts
    • Waste management
    • Shipping and handling chemicals
    • Clean areas/contamination - move to information booth
    • Near Miss reporting/EHS reporting - move to information booth
  • Training
    • Pyrophorics/acutely toxic materials
    • Fire extinguishers
    • Laser safety
    • Using a gas cylinder
  • 3rd Floor SCL lounge
  • ~2 hours
  • Centered around lunch for more distributed attendance
  • Need to contact undergrad lab managers for access
  • Need to start before classes are in session (Week of 8/25 or 9/4)
  • JST members should email any scripts/resources from last year to Vinay

Holden Thorpe Lecture

  • September 24th as tentative date

Open forum

  • Need links to JST website on EHS and Yale Chemistry website
  • BI safety consulting
  • Integrating a forum in the new near miss reporting website
  • Video tutorials incorporation graduate and undergraduate students


April 20, 2017

Completed this month

  • More presence on social media
  • JST members should invite 5 people to next meeting
  • News letter published
  • Water marking poster still need to be completed
  • Planning on field trip to AirGas started
  • Goggle boxes still need to be installed in CRB
  • West Campus meeting to build collaboration to develop safety culture in West campus

News Letter

  • Better editing before publishing needed
  • Deleting images too hard
  • Next issue: chemical contamination
  • Small flyers for no gloves or lab coats in public area
  • Looking into getting poster sleeves for these small flyers

Near Miss Reporting Poster

  • QR code added to link to website
  • Comic layout (similar to XKCD comics)
  • Possible scenarios: fire, chemical spill, injury, spill in the eyes
  • Clarify what a near miss is
  • Clarify what the JST wants from a near miss report
  • If the incident causes personal injury or property damage or a fire extinguisher is used, must report to EHS
  • Next poster: toxic materials

Near Miss Reporting

  • Various meeting to put together reporting
  • Meetings with IT
    • Tagging near misses
    • Secured funding such that meetings can proceed
  • Still need to meet with instructors for undergraduate labs

Field Trip to AirGas

  • AirGas fine with a Friday in June
  • Tour of plant
  • Talk with PhD chemists
  • Lunch with chemists
  • Transportation possibly provided by EHS
    • May need to carpool and reimburse travel
  • Will start getting a number of people interested once more details are solidified

Invited speakers for safety culture

  • Brudvig’s old postdoc
  • In May or June
  • JST needs to advertise for event

Safety Day

  • 1 session in afternoon instead of 2 sessions
  • More involvement of physical chemistry safety issues
  • 3rd floor of SCL by undergrad labs

New ideas

  • Program to measure the extent of energy from an explosion from a reaction
  • Minnesota JST collaboration to share tactics


March 16, 2017

Budget approved from Provost

Need to stay in line with EHS guidelines

Newsletter

  • Postponed to April
  • Need to get to email format
  • Working with EHS to make newsletter publishable by email and finalizing template
  • Writing for first issue is complete
  • JST members will attend a training session for software use
  • Writing for second issue will start by end of month

Posters

  • Pyrophorics poster currently being designed
  • Posting is being planned soon
  • Next poster will begin design by end of month

Near Miss Reporting (NMR)

  • Most of budget will go to this 
  • JST members will brainstorm specific categories for NMR
  • Possible consultant from BI to comment in reports
  • ​Need to improve more serious reports to be sent to EHS
  • Adding a link to EHS and near-miss reports to cross report
  • Clarifying what incidents should be reported to EHS
    • Liaisons should contact safety officers
    • Post on Facebook
    • Add to newsletter
  • Most important features include
    • Open-ended searching
    • Tagging of reports for easier searching
    • Collected data closed to Yale
    • Intuitive reporting such as multiple choice
  • Low priority features
    • Reporting closed to Yale
    • Homepage
    • Mobile version
  • Internal pages
    • Pages on specific and common chemicals with hazards, precautions, and relevant reports

Publicizing NMR

  • Monthly Poster
  • Link in newsletter
  • Providing forms to undergraduate labs
  • Meeting with IT and EHS IT representative

Summer Field Trip

  • AirGas Facility in Cheshire
  • Daria in charge of planning trip
  • Possible networking session with chemists from Airgas during tour

Social Media

  • Monthly reminder of JST
  • Posting of Posters with watermark
  • Sections from newsletter
  • Safety incident articles

Outreach

  • Possibly getting food for next meeting once reimbursements are figured out


February 9, 2017

Next meeting: Thursday 3/2, 11:30 AM, pizza

Or potentially 5 PM meeting. Vinay will send Doodle poll.

January:

Seminar, walkthrough

Positive feedback

Sent Jim thank you note

Safety symbols poster complete, will be put up this week

Newsletter committee met, and newsletter will be sent out to department next month.

Aneta will meet with layout designer from EHS.

Anna Kim has some ideas for articles for newsletter, will email them to us:

- DNPH formed in lab, required bomb squads

- IPA developing peroxides

These can be included in the news section of the newsletter

  • Last month, there was a Na fire in the department. The lab where it happened discussed prevention methods.

Last semester’s goals:

  • Posters: successful. Made 3 posters
  • Liaising with safety officers: Condensed the EHS checklist into a shorter document. Streamlined orientation process by making a script for walkthroughs.  Minimal response from other safety officers, but we have 5 safety officers in JST already.
  • Events: Seminar
  • Safety Moments before seminars: Haven’t started yet. We might make a committee to lead this.
  • Near Miss Reporting: Daria and Vinay met to get funding. Will try to focus on this this semester. DK points out the value of accumulating this data in the long term. For example, from the data we’ve gathered, LAH is a common source of accidents, so we can make a poster/include this in newsletter.

Goals for this semester:

  • Launch a newsletter to regularly engage with the chemistry community. Include news articles, near miss, tips, resources. Will also try to include info from newsletter on our Facebook page.
  • Near miss reporting – From survey, people know there is a near-miss reporting system, but don’t know how to access it. We can put the link in the newsletter or on the posters. Matt points out that we should try to explain why it’s useful to report these things. Vinay suggests sharing examples of accidents to show what types of things people can report. Daria suggests compiling data in a visual form. Victor suggests leaving physical near miss forms in each lab. Could design pads with forms. At next meeting, will form a committee.
    • Undergrad labs – try to implement this in their curriculum. They can assess mistakes and use this as a learning experience. Will collect data but compile it separately from grad student near misses. We can meet with Christine and John Parr.
  • Events: Trip to BI or to Airgas. Should email them two months before trip (April for a trip during early summer).
  • Posters: Continue what we’ve been doing. 8 more topics on list, should last until September.
  • Consultation service with BI: We need to come up with system that will work well, like directory of BI scientists that can be contacted directly, or online form, or email that will be sent to JST first and then forwarded to BI. Would be useful for JST to be the first step, where student would send email to JST and then we would find someone in the department who has experience. DK mentioned that this idea came from a postdoc who was working with an explosive on small scale and wanted to do the reaction on larger scale, but didn’t know who to consult. DK and Vinay can make committee to discuss this further.
  • Next two goals are lower priority:
  • Key card access in KCL. When people work late or on weekends and don’t have someone working along with them, it is less safe if no one can enter the lab in case of an accident. More universal keycard access would be helpful in terms of safety, but worse in terms of security/potential theft. One possible solution is to turn on red light when the last person leaves, and keep the lock green when someone is in lab (is this possible?).
  • Safety moments before lectures.

Matt and DK will make poster on pyrophorics. Will have brainstorming session. Anna Kim will send us list of restricted chemicals on Sciquest, which includes pyrophorics.

Newsletter: week since first meeting. Daria suggests that if someone comes across a useful safety article/idea, they should send it to the newsletter committee. We can make newsletter committee email address.

Aneta, DK, Daria, and Vinay are interested in the near-miss committee. We will recruit other members through email/the next meeting.

Labels for gas cylinders – not being restocked in gas tank room, but they are present in the stockroom.

Group organization:

Pres – Vinay

VP  - Aneta

Treasurer – Daria

Secretary - Victor

Liaisons – Ben (SCL), Suzanne (CRB), Victor (KCL)

Posters – DK, Matt, Julia

Newsletter – Aneta, Daria, Victor, Jihye, Suzanne

________________________________________________

Next Meeting: February 6-10 after people know when their TA assignments are

January 12, 2017

Personal Safety Posters are now posted throughout the department

JST Mini Safety Day

  • Jim Meyer will be the speaker for the JST Mini Safety Day Seminar
  • Jim has provided an outline of his talk and a list of props he needs
  • Props: Contact Vinay if you have any of these to demonstrate
    • Rusted reagent can
    • Exam gloves
    • Chemical resistant glove
    • J-Young NMR Tubes (sealed)
  • Promote event on website, emails, social media, posters/flyers (Jihye, Jake, Vinay, Ben)
  • Contact safety officers for participation from first years (Liaisons)
  • Email first years directly (Suzanne and Vinay)
  • Buy refreshments (Matt and Daria)
    • Drinks (soda or coffee/tea)
    • Food
    • Napkins
    • Cups
  • Speaker introduction and moderator (Julia)
  • CRB walkthrough (Vinay and Suzanne)
  • KCL walkthrough (Julia and Jihye)
  • Clean up (Victor and Aneta)
  • Event: Jan 19th at 4:00 PM followed by walkthroughs

Approached BI opportunity for direct communication regarding dangerous experiments and advice

Vinay and Julia have developed the lab walkthrough

Departmental Survey Results

  • 88% of people know who we are
  • 55.2% of people would be interested in another field trip
  • 51.4% of people know about the near miss report but don’t know how to use it
  • 30.5% know how to use the near miss report
  • 95.2% people prefer an online format
  • Most people like the posters equally to the memes
  • Poster topics
    • Laser safety
    • Lab fires
    • Dos and Don’ts
  • Most people think that their lab is above average in terms of safety
  • All JST members should work on recruiting new students during event

JST Newsletter

  • Aim to start in March
  • Victor, Suzanne, Daria, Aneta, Jihye
  • Meet with EHS person in charge of EHS newsletter

February Poster (Aneta)

  • Safety Symbols

Recruitment

  • Pizza at the next meeting?
  • Recruit during Mini Safety Day
  • Chemical Chronicle
  • Department-wide email

Further Plans

  • Contact Seth about funding from Provost
  • Keycard access
  • Host a departmental event
  • Further develop near miss report
  • Continue poster campaign
  • Field trips to Airgas?


December 8, 2016

New tank tags developed by Jake

Watermarking of Posters to be added online

Waiting on results from graduate student survey

Compiled Safety Officer Checklist

  • Everyone should verify and edit list
  • To be sent out to safety officer

Mini Safety Day

  • Allocating $500 from budget
  • Recruit safety officers to help volunteer
  • Getting speaker from BI - new lay offs might make this difficult
  • Might need to look elsewhere if BI does not respond with a speaker
    • Pfizer
    • Science Park
    • BMS
    • Yale faculty to talk about past safety experiences, safety progress in chemistry, and future of safety in chemistry
  • Department approval for event
  • Publicity and refreshments to be done in January
  • Posters for advertising Mini Safety

Open Discussion of Current State of JST and Projects to focus on

  • Recruit more students to join, especially younger students
  • Push near-miss reporting project next semester
  • Better delegation and organization of tasks/positions
  • Efforts for poster campaign are well spent
  • Better distribution of resources and references
  • Universal lab access to all graduate students for emergency purposes (petition)
  • Recruitment meeting with pizza
  • Presence in the Department news letter
  • Develop a monthly JST email letter
    • Safety tips
    • More information than monthly poster
    • Next meeting date, time, and location
  • Safety glass holders to be installed to every lab entrance
  • Moving lab coat hangers closer to the door


November 10, 2016

Budget Update: $1500 from Provost

Event Committee: Jake and DK

  • Start planning events within new budget

Near-miss reporting: Vinay and Daria

  • Start outlining near-miss reporting

November Poster: heavy metals

  • Done and should be distributed throughout the department

December Poster

  • Matt and Julia
  • Topic: safe working procedures/working in lab alone/power outages, fires, snow closings

January Mini Safety Day

  • Divided by sub-discipline
  • BI representative to give a talk
  • Available to talk with students after talk
  • Vinay: Contact Seth about speaker fees
  • Lab walkthroughs in CRB and KCL
    • Jorgensen, Newhouse, Mayer, Hazari, and Holland labs potentially to be used
  • Contact other safety officers for additional help
  • Potentially January 18 or 19 late afternoon (~4PM)
  • Contact safety officers in SCL for physical lab walkthroughs
    • Laser safety, cryogenics, high voltage, magnets, 

New ideas

  • Using BI as a safety consultant for new experiments
  • Mini Safety Day in May
    • Focused on Biophysical chemists and chembio
  • JST make tank tags that are printable for general use
  • Contact EHS for more tank tags
  • January poster: safety symbols and labels
  • Add previous posters to the website with water marks
    • Make it smaller to fit normal printer paper


October 13, 2016

Gift cards from Safety Day will be distributed to winners: Steph Craig and Josh Zweig

Budget Update

  • Still awaiting news from Dr. Herzon

Website updates

  • Ben has updated the website
  • Any new members should send him information to further update

Scheduled Meetings will be on Thursdays at 1PM typically earlier in the month

Poster Committee Discussion

  • Splitting the work load with one person designing a daft and another to edit works well
  • Use email for mass feedback
  • Brainstorming with knowledgeable people is important
  • Placing educational posters in the CBIC - Contact Eric Paulson
  • Suggestions:
    • Use PDF instead of PowerPoint for editing purposes
  • Next poster: Heavy metals and toxic materials
    • Committee: Suzanne, Aneta, Megan
    • Ask other labs for brainstorming ideas
    • Reach out to BI for suggestions

Departmental Survey Questions

  • Attending BI field trip?
  • Aware of near miss reporting
  • Reporting near misses?
  • Format for near miss reporting?
  • Poster preferences?
  • Protocol for cleaning lab coats?
  • How safety conscious is your lab?
  • What is something that JST has been benefiting the department?
  • Implementing incentive with gift card
  • Voting on questions done through Google Doc

Safety Officer Relations Project

  • Need to update list of lab safety officers
  • Effort to include West Campus
  • Checklist for EHS survey
  • Committee: DK, Julia, Matt, Megan, safety liaisons
  • Condense the EHS survey to be more tractable
  • Biosafety: Victor and Matt
  • Chemical handling and storage: DK
  • Lab space management: Julia and Megan
  • Waste disposal: Contact Anna for further information

Mini-Safety Day Orientation

  • Divided up into sub-discipline (focus on organic, inorganic, and physical in January)
    • Bring in some physical chemists
    • Reach out to physical chemist through mailing list
  • Attendance of BI representative
  • Using EHS Checklist as a guide
  • Walkthrough for a sample lab in each building
  • Snacks or refreshments
  • Short, about 2 hours
    • Start with talk from BI
  • Need to find a good date to include graduate students, 1st years, and undergraduate students
    • Like the first week of classes starting around 5PM after labs end

Open Forum

  • Include pictures from Safety Day on the Facebook Page
  • Stall Wall flyers
    • Design sleeves for restrooms
    • Contact management to make sure posters are not removed
  • Posters geared toward the science behind safety protocols


Next meeting: Check Google Form sent to email list

September 16, 2016
Goals
  • Monthly safety posters with specific topic focus
    • 2 committees to accomplish this
  • Improve relations with lab safety officers (LSOs)
    • work with EHS to outline duties
    • Compile a list of EHS requirements
    • Lab orientation improvements and standardization
  • Events that engage the community
    • Work with Social Hour Committee
    • Lab walkthrough with BI
    • Guest lecturer
  • Safety moments presented by invited speakers
  • Improve the near-miss reporting
    • Upgrade the online form given a budget
    • Physical collection boxes
    • Install advertising posters

Group Positions and Responsibilities

  • President: Vinay Trivedi-Parmar
  • Vice President: Aneta Turlik
  • Treasurer: Daria Kim
  • Secretary: Victor Beaumont
  • Archivist: Need volunteeer
  • Webmaster: Ben Rudshteyn
  • Poster Committees: Jihye Jo, Julia, need more volunteers
  • Event Committee: Jake Black
  • Social Media Committee: Jake Black, need more volunteers
  • Industry Liaison: Need volunteers
  • Department Liaisons:
    • Victor Beaumont (KCL)
    • Suzanne Szewczyk (CRB)
    • Ben Rudshteyn (SCL)
  • Safety Officer Relations Task Force
    • DK
    • Julia

New Posters

  • Developed by Jihye using memes from Safety Day
  • New sleeves will have to be ordered to put up in SCL once construction is done
  • Cannot put any political images on the posters

Brainstorming Ideas

Poster Ideas

  • Cryogens
  • Reactions under pressure
  • Laser / electronics / instrumental safety
  • Hazardous gases
  • Mercury and heavy metals
  • Safety symbols
  • Waste disposal and EHS free offerings
  • Pyrophorics and toxic materials

Events

  • Safety officers/JST would do unofficial surveys of PPE compliance and safety protocol
  • Mini safety day or orientation in January
    • Have safety officers involved
    • Include undergraduates
  • Outreach to first year students
    • Social hour
    • Google forms to see availability
  • Outreach to other labs for better attendance
    • Liaisons should look for volunteers

First Poster: Hazardous gases and gas hazards

  • Committee: Julia, DK, and Victor
Next Meeting: Wednesday September 16 at 1:30 PM 
September 07, 2016
  • Vinay establish platform, cabinet, and monthly/year goals
  • Planning events to continue presence in the department and address ways the JST can improve safety environment

New Ideas

  • Walk-through of what can be fixed in labs
  • Incorporate physical chemists’ issues
  • Integrating safety officers with the JST and the department
    • What are they expected to do and their relationship with EHS
    • Updated list of safety officers on the JST website and posters
  • Cyanide monitors and cyanide antidotes from Ana Kim
  • EHS checklist for most common lab safety issues
  • Publicize features and products that EHS offers
  • Near-miss report boxes at exits and CBIC
  • Posters for areas where food or lab coats are not allowed
  • Establish safety minute for seminars
  • Meetings are Wednesdays at 5:30 PM
  • Change Facebook page to a group
  • Added responsibility of safety liaisons to incorporate labs and safety officers
  • Incorporate food at meetings as an incentive for attendance 
  • Streamline the safety orientation for labs distributed by liaisons
Next Meeting: Monday August 22 at 10AM in SCL166? 
August 04, 2016
New President
  • Vinay will step up as president of the JST
  • He would like to establish a VP to help him as well as other positions
  • He and Ana have worked to get a $4,000 budget
    • Needed to count the number of students in the department to determine the allocation of funds
    • Sending proposal to Cynthia Smith
  • He would like a more organized meeting schedule with agendas for monthly meetings and focus groups
  • His plan for the year is for a continuous presence in the department
Safety Day
  • Date moved to Tuesday August 30
  • Need to send an email to BI to confirm with them the date change
  • Demos
    • Need more volunteers for demos
    • Will contact students who participated last year to volunteer for demos
  • Safety Stations
    • Script for lab entrance
      • Avoid synthetics
      • PPE is put on in this order: glasses, gloves, then coat
      • Bins for glasses and hangers for coats should be installed by Safety Day
      • Develop point on marking entrances when spills happen
      • Make a sign as an example
      • Add a point about near miss reporting
      • Students will need glasses and coats before entering the lab space
      • Ask stockroom for 30 extra lab coats for Safety Day
    • Script for good and bad habits
      • Need hot plate to demonstrate use of lab equipment
      • Standard signs for overnight to be posted on JST website
      • Standardized forms and signs
      • Need pictures of bad lab benches
      • Proper use and disposal of needles
      • Use of paper and tape tags
      • Proper use of vacuums and rotovaps
    • Script for emergency response
      • Small scale spills do not need to be reported
      • Highly toxic spills or large scale spills should be reported
      • Call 911 for immediate response and then call EHS, otherwise just call EHS
      • Local ambulances have protocols in place for exposures
      • Visit the medical center for any exposures so there is a record of any incidents if symptoms are delayed
      • Simulate spills with water
        • Need packing peanuts
        • Need spill pads
        • Go to shower and remove clothes
        • Have labmates secure the area
      • Never work alone
      • Fire scenario
        • Show fire extinguishers
        • Simulate fires with cutouts
    • Script for waste management
      • To be covered by EHS and Ana Newton
      • Set up meeting to discuss what will be presented
  • JST Table
    • Raffle tickets for picture, comments, and meme contest
    • 2 x $50 Amazon gift cards
  • Demos
    • Herman will also do pyrophorics demo


Next Meeting: Thursday August 4, 2016 CRB 202 at 10 AM

July 21, 2016
Annual Review
  • Defined missions of JST
  • Assigned offices and positions
  • Designed a successful website
  • Established a presence on social media
  • Installed poster sleeves throughout the department
  • Logo contest created an image for JST
  • Introduced the near miss report
  • Established a $500 annual budget from the department
  • Established successful relation with EHS
  • Established a partnership with BI
  • Working to get safety practices and protocols from BI
  • Ana announced the end of her term as president
  • Future endeavors
    • Further development of the near miss reporting
    • Develop website to include a searchable database of safety report
    • Introduce the safety minute
Safety Day
  • BI is coming to Safety Day
  • Event will be held on Monday August 29th
  • Demonstrations of proper lab maintenance
  • Tutorials on emergency protocols
  • Waste management
  • Create a better communication between the labs and EHS by providing comment cards
  • JST Table
    • Picture background
    • Poster contest
    • JST poster
    • Meme contest
    • Feedback cards
  • Stations (Safety Liaisons will contact department for volunteers) held in SCL 166
    • Lab safety demos (Prep hood)
      • Toxic Reagents
      • Pyrophoric Reagents - Aneta
      • Biotopic
      • Reactions under pressure
    • Waste management - EHS, Ana Newton
    • Emergency response - Xiaoshen (Morning) - Susanne (Afternoon)
    • Cryogenics and Good bench habits - Vinay (Morning) - Daria (Afternoon)
    • Lab entrance requirements - Victor (Morning) and Dan (Afternoon)
    • Volunteers need to come up with a script

New ideas

  • Posters promoting the near miss reporting 
  • Change the Facebook page to a group


Next Meeting: July 19, 2016 (Tuesday) at 10:00 AM in CRB 202.

July 7, 2016

Budget

  • Ana bought the Yale mug as a gift to Bill for helping organize BI field trip.
  • Ana bought two $50 amazon gift cards as prizes for Safety Day.
    • A prize for new safety poster contest.
    • A prize for PPE photo contest.
    • We need to announce safety poster contest before Safety Day.

BI Field Trip Review

  • Can we introduce similar system like BI to protect people who work alone at night?
    • Considering our funding and environment in academia, we might consider pagers, but we wonder about whether the coverage of the pager would cover both the chemistry department and Yale security and how it would work.
  • Ventilation; BI has a good ventilation system including hoods, sink, balances, rotary evaporators.
    • We have a ventilation system only in the lab hood, but evaporating solvents and washing chemicals & glassware in the lab are the main cause of smell.
    • We can use rotary evaporator and put waste disposal bottle inside the hood as each lab will decide.
    • Waste disposal bottles have two choices: place inside the hood, have a dry secondary container at sink (important to make sure the secondary container is dry, water or solvents should be wiped after usage).
  • Do not recap needles.
    • We are doing pretty good job about this, but it is good to be aware of it.

Frequent questions about safety in the lab

  • Safety inspection report email: would it be possible that EHS informs individuals who don’t follow safety rules instead of sending an email to PI? Often, a PI forwards the email back to students or safety officer to address issue. People think that it makes a tension between researchers and EHS. Also the report email comes 1~2 weeks later when it is hard to remember and correct the issue. It will be much easier to correct it on spot. (More direct interaction and communication between researchers and EHS officers)
    • PI should be aware that what is going on in the lab because PI is responsible for their lab. Also how to deal with this reports are really depend on PI. (EHS cannot customize it).
    • If the lab frequently receive similar reports, that means the lab needs to do the job correctly for their own safety.
    • People have received reports regarding waste disposal, “Safety Day” will be a good day to demonstrate how to do it to inform people.
  • CRB safety glasses holders:
    • Labs in CRB don’t have safety glasses holder
    • RULE: Safety glasses should be available in the lab, however, location doesn’t need to be specific
    • Installing safety glasses holder will be nice, because it’s easier to reach, but not necessary for each lab.
    • If we decide to install, the problem is who is responsible for funding. [Amazon $30/each, Sciquest $70/each].
  • CRB lab coats hanger:
  • CRB food and drinks in the office
    • Unlike KCL and SCL, students offices are in lab space
    • Covered drink bottles are allowed
    • No food! Eat food at the kitchen area
  • Can people wear lab coats in corridor?
    • “Yes” for transferring chemicals, walking from one lab to other lab.
    • “No” in common areas specifically spaces are for preparing food, lab office, bathroom.
    • If specific location says “No lab-coat policy”, it’s their decision and we need to follow.
      • CBIC instrument center, the rule is “only clean lab coats are allowed”.
        • Mainly because of sitting a chair while taking NMR spectrum”.
      • It’s hard to tell which lab coat is clean or not, so people generally don’t wear lab coats in the instrument center.
    • What if researchers don’t shut fume hood sash repeatedly?
      • Shutting the fume hood is really important for researchers to protect themselves such as splash, flame, fire, etc. It’s like losing all benefits to work at fume hood
      • If someone keep violates it, tell EHS, then they will take care of it.

Safety Day

  • Scheduled for Monday, August 29 (two hour session in the morning and another in the afternoon).
    • Anna will make a Google document (table, volunteer, supplies to be purchased) and share with JST.
    • We need to sign up volunteering at JST table and other tables both morning (2 hours) and afternoon (2 hours), then we would write a protocol containing bullet points to cover to make sure everybody’s on the same page.
  • Tables include:
    • JST table
      • JST poster.
      • A new safety poster contest $50 Amazon gift card.
      • A PPE individual or group photo contest $50 Amazon gift card.
        • EHS will buy a photo backdrop (Jihye will email Anna).
        • We will give a passport stamp for taking a PPE photo.
        • People will apply photo contest by “check-in” our Facebook page with the photo.
        • Facebook check-in event will increase our followers.
    • BI table:
      • BI will bring their poster.
      • BI table will be next to JST table
    • Chemical Inventory Training:
      • 10 people form one group.
      • A question during meeting was how to manage missing items or deleting items if the chemicals are not belong to their lab.
    • PPE & MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet):
      • EHS will address some chemicals that are very toxic and dangerous.
      • People can be less cautious when dealing with chemicals since MSDS show every chemical is toxic and dangerous; it is hard to distinguish levels of danger.
    • BI table
      • BI will bring their poster
      • BI table will be next to JST table
    • Chemical Inventory Training
      • 10 people form one group
      • A question during meeting was how to manage missing items or deleting items if the chemicals are not belong to their lab
    • PPE & MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet)
      • EHS will address some chemicals that are very toxic and dangerous
      • People can be less cautious when dealing with chemicals since MSDS showed every chemical is toxic and dangerous, hard to distinguish levels of danger
    • Safety glasses table
      • EHS will have diverse safety glasses.
      • EHS will ask whether funding for prescription glasses is still available
    • Chemical safety training:
      • Every training is required for first year graduate students.
      • Bio heavy & Inorganic (Pyrophorics) training will be optional since people have participated last year safety day.
      • Toxics training / High-pressure reaction / Pyrophorics / Bio material.
      • Last meeting, Daria notes that incident reports highlight issues with over-pressurizing reactions and quenching technique, Daria and Aneta will consider ideas for demonstrations.
    • Waste disposal
      • We will set up table to explain it step by step (easy to understand procedures).
      • We will have a table demonstrating waste disposal procedures.
    • Emergency scenarios
      • Fire.
      • Chemical exposure, spilling.
      • Sharps (needles, glassware, etc).
      • Will be nice to have two people are involved (one is a victim of incident, the other is a lab members who can help).
    • AED/CPR/First aid training, EHS pays for it
    • Bench
      • Make a contrast by setting a good and bad bench.
      • People will be asked to find several things that are wrong in bad bench.
    • Fire extinguisher training
      • We will learn different types of extinguisher with proper operating method.
    • Jake looked into laser safety there is not much about to train. We decide not to do laser safety training.
    • Vinay suggests drafting out simple scenarios one may encounter in lab (suggestions include a small chemical spill, disposal of a small amount of solid, a chemical burn, how to use a pressure gauge, etc.) that participants may provide a written response to anonymously. The group can then review answers to identify areas of general misinformation.
    • Ana notes that inventory maintenance has been lacking and the group suggests a booth about inventory use at Safety Day (particularly useful for newer students)”
      • Related to the inventory, Vinay notes that a demonstration of the correct set up of chemical cabinets might also be useful.
    • Proper waste disposal
      • Jake suggests we provide information or literature on the cost and consequence of waste disposal—how much it costs a lab to get EHS to dispose a chemical (note: EHS pays for day-to-day disposal from a general fund) and what the consequence would be for disposing it the incorrect way.
  • We will set up Safety Day as a walk through, where participants stop at each station and are asked to perform tasks they might encounter in everyday lab work (e.g., putting on the correct PPE, demonstrate knowledge of how to use an eye wash/safety shower, disposing different types of waste correctly, how to respond when you observe an accident in a lab-mate’s hood). We will have a passport with stamps and time slots.
  • EHS will prepare raffle prizes for complete passport.
  • Do we want demonstrations for eye-washes and safety showers? (we didn’t discuss today).
  • We need to anticipate how long does it take each table.
  • JST need to decide whether it is worth switching from current Facebook page to Facebook group before Safety Day.


June 21, 2016

Posters

  • Anna Kim presented printed mockups on cardstock to the group.
  • The group agreed the quality of the posters was great with the exception of EHS and BI logos at the bottom—higher resolution images will replace the current ones on the template
  • Vinay will convert existing poster files to PowerPoint files and send to Anna Kim
  • Daria reports that a poster sleeve in the east CRB elevator is broken. Ana will contact Ed regarding replacement
  • Anna Kim will print out a total of 60 posters to go up either this week or next.

Budget

  • Ana reports that there has been difficulty accessing our account funds. She will contact Erin about this.
  • Leftover money in the budget will be used to buy gift cards as prizes for Safety Day, as the fiscal year ends June 30, and funds will not roll over.

BI Field Trip

  • Coming this Friday; everything looks good
  • Our main goal is to forge a closer connection with BI
  • Ideally, we will get access to a copy of their safety manual of SOPs. Vinay will contact Bill Yakush at BI to see if this is a possibility
  • Vinay will email BI for a final confirmation of the field trip and ask about parking and if participants need to bring anything.
  • We will use JST funds to purchase a Yale mug as a gift to Bill for helping organize this trip.
  • Anna Kim has organized transportation
  • Details for the trip: Bus is scheduled to arrive at 11:30 AM at 350 Edwards (near loading dock of CRB). We will meet in CRB 123 or 102 to pick up lunches. We’ll announce 11:30 as the meeting time, but assuming some tardiness, we will not expect to leave until 11:40.

Safety Day

  • Scheduled for Monday, August 29 (one two hour session in the morning and another in the afternoon)
  • Ideas include:
    • Pyrophorics and toxics training
    • Demonstrations for eye washes and safety showers
    • Daria notes that incident reports highlight issues with over-pressurizing reactions and quenching technique
      • Daria and Aneta will consider ideas for demonstrations (someone from the Herzon lab can help them)
    • Vinay suggests drafting out simple scenarios one may encounter in lab (suggestions include a small chemical spill, disposal of a small amount of solid, a chemical burn, how to use a pressure gauge, etc.) that participants may provide a written response to anonymously. The group can then review answers to identify areas of general misinformation
    • Jake will look into laser safety
    • Ana notes that inventory maintenance has been lacking and the group suggests a booth about inventory use at Safety Day (particularly useful for newer students)
      • Related to the inventory, Vinay notes that a demonstration of the correct set up of chemical cabinets might also be useful
    • Proper waste disposal
      • Jake suggests we provide information or literature on the cost and consequence of waste disposal—how much it costs a lab to get EHS to dispose a chemical (note: EHS pays for day-to-day disposal from a general fund); what the consequence would be for disposing it the incorrect way
  • Ana suggests we set up Safety Day as a walk through, where participants stop at each station and are asked to perform tasks they might encounter in everyday lab work (e.g., putting on the correct PPE, demonstrate knowledge of how to use an eye wash/safety shower, disposing different types of waste correctly, how to respond when you observe an accident in a lab-mate’s hood).

Next Meeting as a focus group for planning Safety Day: July 7, 2016 (Thursday) at 10:00 AM in TBD.



May 16, 2016

  • Still waiting on BI for setting up the visit to their campus
  • Poster template created by Josh Zweig and Jihye Jo
    • Still need approval from BI to have their logo on the template
    • Needs to be approved by John Gamball
    • Color coding template based on content
  • EHS is continuing to get funding for the near-miss reporting program
    • Near-miss report Google Doc currently on the Facebook, website, and Chemistry newsletter
    • Need to refine what is done with the information collected
    • Making the reporting more anonymous 
  • LinkedIn started for JST and will be updated by Ana Newton
  • Safety Minute
    • JST will talk about a safety topic before all seminar
    • Ana will discuss with Prof. Brudvig to implement
  • Planning for the Safety Day
    • Safety training to be done online before the safety day
    • Need suggestions for topic for demonstrations
    • Send an invite to BI
      • Compare the Yale labs versus with lab at BI
      • We encourage students to take pictures of poor lab habits to bring to JST
    • Safety Liaisons should email their buildings for ideas for Safety Day
  • Ana Kim will ask Ed Ginter to move to the lab coat hangers to front of lab
    • Will also work to get a box for lab goggles for labs that need them
  • Will start to develop the website for easier use

Next Meeting: June 21, 2016 at 10:00 AM in CRB 102



April 18, 2016

  • Winner of the logo contest: Josh Zweig
    • Changes to logo: remove the Yale “Y” from the logo
    • Logo is to be added to the website and the Facebook
    • Mark Stricker: employee of Yale Printing Services responsible for the layout of Facebook pages at Yale
    • John Gambell is our contact for layouts of Facebook page and posters
      • Need a template for poster
        • Contains JST logo, title, EHS logo, Yale “Y” symbol…
  • Posters have arrived and are ready to hang up
    • Safety liaisons should set up a meeting with Ed Ginter to hang up posters
    • Victor will start and decide the height of the poster
    • Ana will email the blueprints for poster locations
  • Near-miss reporting
    • ITS charges $104/hour
    • Estimates that it will take about 20 hours to do
    • Look into “Safety Grants” to pay for the near-miss reporting
    • Ask Anna Kim for funding help from EHS
    • Legal issues with bad safety reports?
      • May need to contact a lawyer from the department to discuss these issues
    • Add the Google-Doc to the website and the Facebook
      • Advertise through Karen and the Chemistry Chronicle
  • Visit to BI
    • End of May or beginning of June
    • Visit labs and other departments
    • Need to schedule a bus
    • Around 30 people to go
    • First-come-first-serve sign up basis
    • Suggestions for changes in CRB labs from BI:
      • Hangers for lab coats in front of lab
      • “Safety Book” with protocol and procedures
      • 5-minute presentation of the “Safety Environment” before a seminar
      • Covering food before getting to desk in the office
      • Setting up tape on the floor to mark areas where lab coats and safety glasses must be worn

Our next meeting will be held on May 16, 2016 in CRB 102 at 10:00 AM



March 7, 2016
  • Discussed edits for the JST Poster for the visiting days


February 22, 2016
 
  • Discussed results from Pat Holland’s graduate student survey
    • 60% have heard of JST
    • 30% have heard of JST but do not know what we do
    • Most people would like to see JST be part of Safety Day
    • 38% would only report if they need too
    • 30% would report a near miss if it were a scary accident
    • 25% Willing to report a near miss
    • 8% Probably would not report a near miss
    • Results on interest of JST invited speakers
      • 82% Would like to see a representative from a safety team from another school
      • 34% JST representative
      • 20.5% EHS representative
  • Near-Miss Reporting (Daria and Ben)
    • Broken down by reagent and categorized by properties
      • CAS#
      • Hazards
      • Handling
    • Review before submitting to page
    • Try to have it searchable by CAS number
    • Created a WikiDot page for searchable near-miss reporting
      • Submissions can be done using the Google Doc or the Wiki page
    • Need to simplify page
    • Will  address instrumental near-miss reporting when chemical near-miss reporting has been established
    • Contact IT department for a quote in setting up a webpage for near-miss reporting
  • JST Logo
    • Determine if it needs to be approved by the Yale Corporation 
  • Boehringer Ingelheim
    • Ana Newton visited the company’s campus
    • Brainstorming activities
      • Visit their safety committee
      • EHS can provide transportation to campus
      • Inviting a representative from the safety committee at BI
      • Invite BI to present a poster on safety at the visiting days
      • Ask how they catalog safety protocols/chemical hazards and accident reporting
      • Invite someone from BI to appear on the career panel
      • Victor and Jacob 
  • Poster for JST
    • Mission statement
    • How we are 
    • Use logo on poster
    • Take a picture of members to put on poster
    • Events
    • Partnership with BI
    • Active endeavors

JST Picture Date: March 7, 2016

Next JST meeting: March 7, 2016



January 25, 2016

  • Represented Groups
    • Baxter
    • Loria
    • Ganim
    • Newhouse
    • Jorgensen
    • Herzon
    • Batista
  • Good news! The Department of Chemistry has accepted out proposal for a budget!
  • Collaboration with Boehringer Ingelheim
    • Boehringer Ingelheim (BI) has a agreed to work with JST to establish an environment of safety at Yale’s Department of Chemistry
    • JST is currently working on activities to propose to BI
    • A group separate from JST is going to visit BI, Ana has applied to join them
  • Poster sleeves
    • Barbara Fitzgerald is researching affordable options
    • Sizing:
      • Letter
      • Legal
      • Tabloid (Most desirable size for the JST)
  • Logo Contest
    • Deadline extended to March 1st
    • JST will continue to solicit on Facebook, the JST website, email threads, …
  • “Get to know us!” weekly Facebook post
    • Posting name, picture, and short bio of JST members to introduce to the rest of the department
    • Adam Matula and Jacob Black will join the team managing these posts
    • Facebook Management Team will also post weekly safety tips
  • Pat Holland’s Survey
    • JST has a page of questions to probe the interest of the department
    • JST encourages all members of the department to respond to these survey questions
  • Near-Miss Report (NMR)
    • Weekly safety posts might be pooled from these responses
    • Link to be added to the Facebook page
    • Working on posting responses to the JST website
    • Daria will work with Ben to organize the NMR
    • Contact IT for rates in aiding to launch  NMR
      • Develop a proposal to pay for IT support

Next meeting: February 22 in CRB 102 at 10:00 AM



December 15, 2015
  • Represented Groups
    • Jorgensen
    • Newhouse
    • Batista
    • Loria
    • Baxter
    • Herzon
  • Jihye Jo is our newest member in the Marketing Department. Congratulations
  • JST Budget
    • Set up meeting between Ana, EHS, and Erin for the next fiscal year
  • Contact Karen for advertising space in the Chemistry Chronicle
  • Liaisons still need to contact other labs for better representation
  • Logo Contest
    • JST  will decide winner by poll
    • Rules to be uploaded onto website
    1. Winner will receive $50 gift card to Amazon.com. Winner will be announced to the department in mid-February and also by email thread.
    2. Deadline is February 1, 2015
    3. Send all logo submissions to ChemJST@elilist.yale.edu
    4. Members of the JST can participate but cannot win
    5. Dimensions must be square
    6. Must contain “JST” and “Yale” or some symbol representing Yale
    7. All submissions must be original. JST is not responsible for any trademark infringement from submissions.
    8. JST reserves the right to use any and all submitted logos
    9. JST will not accept any inappropriate submissions
  • Memes from the Safety Day Meme Contest will be uploaded to the JST Facebook Page
  • Pat Holland’s Graduate Student Survey
    • Have you heard of the JST?
    • What type of events would you like to see from the JST?
    • What events did you like most?
    • What would you like the JST to do for you?
    • Do you think the near-miss reporting would useful?
    • What invited speaker would you like to have for safety talks?
  • Events and Activities of the JST
    • Logo Contest
    • Video Contest
    • Safety Day 2015
    • Safety Day 2016 T-Shirts with JST logo
    • Safety Poster Contest for poster sleeves
    • Portrait backdrop for pictures to be used on posters/website/Facebook
    • Interactions with industrial company (Vinay and Ana Kim)
      • Visit to the company to limited number of people in the department
      • Possibly based on a written application to explain desire to go on visit
    • Invited Speakers
    • Visiting Days
      • JST poster for the poster session for perspective students

Next meeting: Monday, January 25, 2016 at 10:00 AM in CRB 102



November 20, 2015
  • Represented Groups
    • Miller
    • Jorgensen
    • Zilm
    • Batista
    • Loria
    • Newhouse
    • Herzon
    • Ganim
    • For better representation
      • Ask Karen to send out email for more representation at JST meetings
      • Liaisons contact safety officers to let them known what is going on in the meeting
      • Liaisons ask for more representation for an open forum type of meeting
  • Website
    • Ready to go live (Next Tuesday) (Ben)
    • Need link for blog
    • Facebook (Monday) (Vinay)
      • Link from website to Facebook, and vice versa
  • Poster Sleeves
    • Contacted Erin McAvoy twice, no answer
    • Gave all plans to Erin
    • Waiting on Erin for money from department
    • Once sleeves come, Liaisons meet with Ed to install
  • Education Department
    • Logo contest for JST from the department
      • Upload rules onto website
      • Announce at the Department Social Hour December 4
      • $50 gift card for winner?
        • Ana will contact Erin regarding this
      • Deadline: February 1st
      • JST members should provide their own examples, though they will not win
    • Video competition: safety videos
      • Launch date: TBD
      • Announce winner at YCS in August
      • Winner gets Annual Safety Award
      • Model after Minnesota video contest
      • 5 minute limit
      • Centered around lab safety
    • Jacob Black of the Ganim Group is now a member of the Education Department
    • Place a sign up sheet at the Social Hour
    • Adding JST news to the Chemistry Chronicle (Vinay)
  • Boehringer Ingelheim (Vinay)
    • Contact on behalf of JST
    • Introduce the group to them
    • Make a collaboration to share safety protocols
    • Possibly make an on-site visit or meeting

Next meeting: Monday December 14 10AM CRB 102



September 17, 2015

  • Lab coats are expected to arrive within the next few weeks
    • Additional fitting session Monday (9/21/15) at 3:00 PM in stockroom
  • Delegations of positions
    • Safety Officer Liaisons
      • CRB: Xiaoshen Ma
      • SCL: Anne Carroll
      • KCL: Victor Beaumont
      • Liaisons should mark building layouts with good locations for poster sleeves by Monday (9/21/15)
    • Communication Department
      • Marketing: Katie Krueger
      • Media: Vinay Trivedi-Parmar
      • Website: Ben Rudshteyn
    • Education and Safety Department
      • Aneta Turlik
      • Herman Nikolayevskiy
      • Annual Safety Award?
        • Logo Contest
        • Video Contest
      • Engaging Students and Post-docs
      • Social Events: Anne Carroll
    • Everyone holding a leadership position should send Ana or Ben a picture of themselves and a description by Monday (9/21/15)
  • JST Aim
    • (Proposed) Each laboratory will have one or more designed Laboratory Safety Officers (LSOs). These are typically senior graduate students. The duty of the LSO is to ensure that laboratory members are in compliance with all safety rules on a day-to-day basis. This, the LSOs are obligated to correct laboratory members who are out of compliance. The LSOs are also instructed by the faculty to bring repeated instances of non-compliance to their faculty advisor.
    • Anne: To shape safety awareness and practices and thereby improve the culture of safety for students at Yale. To create a positive and meaningful safety environment leading to an improved culture of safety at Yale and beyond. To promote a practical and substantive safety culture and thereby equip students with the skills to safely work in a range of laboratory settings at Yale and beyond. To decrease laboratory accidents by raising awareness of laboratory safety and shaping the implementation of safety practices. To promote a culture of safety and develop safety guidelines that are practical and protective and thereby develop scientists who can work safely in the laboratory at the highest standards. To promote safe laboratory practices as an integral component of our studies and thereby equip students with the knowledge needed to safely work in the laboratory at Yale and beyond.
    • Using Anne’s aims
    • Aims are to be added to the JST website
  • Website Development
    • jst.chem.yale.edu
    • Written using Drupal
    • “About Us” tab
      • Mission Statement
      • Leadership postions
    • “Resources” tab
      • Accidents
      • Chemical-specific information
      • General Safety
      • Other Safery Teams
      • Potential Safety Reminders
      • Safety Culture?
    • Near miss report should be added
    • Chemical hazard labeling
      • Color coded barcodes?
      • Chemical hazards diamond description
  • ​Safety Day
    • All lab members must take the chemical safety online training
    • Ana Kim is still developing a simpler “Near Miss” Report
    • Meme Contest Winners
      • Chris Schugrue
      • Kyle East
      • Megan Reesbeck
      • Must contact winners before announcing to the department
      • Vinay: Collect all memes and type out written portions to be used as safety posters
  • New enlisted members are listed in the DropBox